Pages

Thursday, January 24, 2013

Finshed Reading: Water For Elephants by Sara Gruen!!



Read from January 13 to 23, 2013 

 

Well, in this book I wasn't totally interested in the story itself, but I kept wondering how in the world Sarah Gruen has been inspired and got the necessary information for such an amazing book!! And the answer came at the very end, in the author's note.


So let's get back to the story, it is about that old man's life at the age of twenty three (another thing I couldn't fathom is how can she figure out that "old" "man"'s feelings and thoughts about this or that? Well I think that a writer has a right to imagine things, and I believe I'm being silly, but I assure you that these thoughts kept popping in my head during the whole read).


After the death of the young Jacob Jankowski's parents in an accident, he manages to get a job at the "Benzini Brothers Most Spectacular Show On Earth" circus as an animals' Doc. He falls in love with his boss' wife Marlena -althgouh he clearly knew that it was wrong of him to do so- and the real thing begins when she lets him know that it was mutual. I won't go any further because I don't want to spoil anything.


I think that Sara Gruen made a great effort to show the important role of the elephant Rosie, but I believe she couldn't get much of it by gathering two elephant's real stories, for I was more concerned about them separated -as she narrated them in the author's note- than the two gathered to make a story for Rosie.


I really like a whole world of things about this novel, and I would give it five out of five stars if it wasn't for those unreadable parts that made me skip large paragraphs and even pages (well, I have my own reasons to say that they were unreadable), but yes, I would like to read more of this brilliant author's books, because she can come up with new things for me to read!!


4 comments:

  1. I've heard mixed reviews and I'm just not sure if it'll be good or not.Everyone tells me to read it and I've always meant to ...it's just never picked it up for some reason !!

    Nice review btw

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks a lot for your compliment!! Well I advice you not to rush things up and just carry on with what you're planning to read first. When you feel like "breaking the rules", then you can pick it up!!

    ReplyDelete