Pages

Sunday, January 13, 2013

Finished Reading: Animal Farm by George Orwell!!


Read from January 11 to 13, 2013 

 

It was a clever yet simple read!! I actually had a presentiment that I would become one of George Orwell’s fans once I read one of his novels, and that is because of the credits his books were given. I’ve planned to read “1984” first but when I saw “Animal Farm” standing on the shelf undisturbed (besides it seemed an easy read) I just jumped on it and started the read right away, without further procrastination.

It lived up to my expectations, and I’m real grateful that I was given the chance to read it and savor its many “tastes”. It went from sharpness, to sadness, to happiness … And thank God I was able to get the hidden meanings that lay behind the simplicity of the book’s style.

The story begins when one day old Major, the prize Middle White boar, gathered all the animals of the Manor Farm, and opened their eyes to the hideous cruelness with which they were treated, and the sad nature of the life they were leading by serving those humans and getting next to nothing in return. So what his experiences have taught him is that the only way they could put an end to it all and make their lives bearable is by setting themselves free, and commanding their “Animal Farm” by themselves, the only condition was to never behave like a human being: all animals must be equal and work together. So after his death the animals lead the Rebellion and won their “Animal Farm” back, and lived their laborious happy life together under the seven commandments they made for themselves inspired by old Major’s speech. But then came conflicts and arguments between them, and some of the “witty” animals that were seeking power and wealth changed the commandments little by little to fit their selfish ends, and the ignorant and indifferent animals spent their lives working for the sake of those pigs.

I think that the ending is what it should be, for no happy ending is to be sought if there are greedy intentions to lead one astray!!

No comments:

Post a Comment